Monday, September 22, 2008

Alaska Wildlife

by Jen











On our recent trip to Alaska, we had the chance to encounter wildlife in its natural habitat. Lucky for me, it was just a lil' ole squirrel!


We also saw several moose and a few grizzlies on our journey, and thankfully they were all at a distance. Eric was pretty confident that he could handle a bear, but I on the other hand was terrified of running into one. We were given the following tips on how to handle a bear or moose encounter:

BEAR:
Stand your ground, wave your arms, and talk to it.

(W
hat in the world am I supposed to say to a 500 pound bear?!?!)

CHARGING BLACK BEAR:
Roll into a ball and play dead. If it starts to eat you, then fight back.
(Seriously? With WHAT?)

CHARGING BROWN BEAR:
Roll into a ball and play dead. Pray it doesn't eat you.

(Or was this
what I was supposed to do with the black bear??)

MOOSE:
Run for cover and hope you can find something to hide behind.

(Whatever.)


I'm fairly positive I would forget all of the rules and just poop my pants, scream, and run.
And it's the running that gets you eaten for sure.

Needless to say, Eric will be happy if he never ever hears the word
BEAR! again.

No comments: